Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Tewkesbury (House of Commons)
Mr Laurence Robertson MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 22 High Street
Surgery Tel: 01684 291640
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 6,310 Born - 1958, Married 2 step-daughters.
Education - St James Church of England Secondary School, Farnworth Grammar School, Bolton Institute of Higher Education.
Previous Occupation - Self Employed, Director of L.A Robertson PR Company, a Public Relations Consultant, Charity Fund raiser and Events Manager. Has been a consultant to the Royal Academy of Music, the Church Army Charity, and Silverwood Forestry.
Personal Overview - Has a background in business and public relations which is likely to give him some media knowledge. He has begun his parliamentary career by gaining several early Select Committee memberships. Immediately before the 2001 election he got rather too close to John Townend (fomer Con MP for Yorkshire East) over the race and immigration row, and was eventually required to apologise by the then Hague leadership. Recovered from this set back to become a junior Opposition spokesman, but was not able to immediately translate this into a Government role.
Political History - MP Tewkesbury (1997-). Secretary of the Conservative Finance Committee (1998-99). Secretary of the Conservative Constitutional Affairs Committee (1997-2001). Member of the Environmental Audit Select Committee (1997-2000), and Consolidation Etc, Bills Select Committee (1997-). Member of the European Scrutiny Select Committee (1999-2005), Social Security Select Committee (1999-2001), Education & Skills Select Committee (2001). Opposition Whip (Culture, Media & Sport, Wales) (2001-03). Opposition Front Bench Spokesman for Trade & Industry (Economic Affairs) (2003-05). Shadow Minister for Northern Ireland (2005-10). Chairman of the Northern Ireland Affairs Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Liaison Select Committee (2010-).
Characteristics - He has raised large amounts of money for charities, and has previously been the Chairman of Governors at a Primary School.
Business Tel: 020 7219 4196
Interests: European Issues,Constitutional,Law & Order,General Economy,Education & Training
- Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (Chairman)
- Liaison Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Accident Prevention (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Aerospace (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Arch Cru Investment Scheme (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Beer Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Betting and Gaming Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Cardiac Risk in the Young (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Engineering Group (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Flood Prevention Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Horse (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) (Member)
- British Offshore Oil and Gas Industry Group (Member)
- Philately (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Prison Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Racing and Bloodstock Industries Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scotch Whisky and Spirits Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Telehealth Group (Secretary)
- Tidy Britain Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Ethiopia (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Somaliland and Somalia (Member)
- British-Spanish Group (Member)
- British-St Lucia Group (Member)
- Republic of Sudan and South Sudan (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Uganda Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Vietnam (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com