DROITWICH Spa secured their place in the quarter-final of the Worcestershire FA Saturday Junior Cup with a 2-0 victory over Montpellier.

Bradley Burgess opened the scoring midway through the first half before Nick Seabourne grabbed a second with 13 minutes left to seal the win at Walshes Meadow.

With Montpellier finishing as runners-up in the competition last year, coupled with a flying start to their Total Motion Midland League Division Two campaign, this was a tough test on paper for Droitwich.

Spa were also missing half a dozen players due to suspension and injury.

But the opening stages were the two sides exchanging blows and some decent passing football on show.

Pelliers looked dangerous with the front two of Paul Bonar and former professional Stuart Hendrie, and down the flanks with the pace of Ty Knight and Kelsn Shepherd.

Hendrie and Bonar had half chances for the visitors while Seabourne, Burgess and Haydn Morris were having some joy getting in behind the back-line.

Seabourne missed a couple of opportunities before the deadlock was broken on 22 minutes.

After another good run into the box, Seabourne’s low effort from an angle was only parried into the path of Burgess who tapped home from a few yards out.

From that point on, Saltmen grew in confidence and were rarely troubled at the other end.

Keeper Craig Johnson had to be on his toes to deny Seabourne, Morris, Burgess and Matty Hunt, making several excellent saves as Spa went into the break 1-0 up.

The second half continued in a similar vein although Hendrie had a golden opportunity to pull Montpellier level early on. His header forced a great stop from Matt Oliver.

Curtis Townley put in an excellent shift as a stand-in centre back alongside Hunt, and they dealt with most of the visitors’ threats as Spa won their battles across the pitch.

Johnson was again called into action to thwart Burgess and Seabourne, both with decent attempts. The latter also fired wide when in a good position.

The second goal came on 77 minutes when a neat passing move between Andrew Crowther and Morris slipped Seabourne in on goal and he finished clinically into the far corner.

However Montpellier could quite easily have notched two or three goals before the final whistle.

Hendrie was put through only to be denied by Oliver while Bonar fired high and wide when well positioned.

The draw for the quarter final has yet to be made, but ties are expected to be played on Saturday, November 25.

Tenth-placed Droitwich will now turn their attentions to the league as they visit high-flying Hampton on Saturday (3pm).