JOINT-MANAGER Lee Hooper was happy with Malvern Town's first showing of the summer despite slipping to a 2-0 defeat to neighbours Worcester City.

Jordan Harrison and Myles Simpson both came off the bench to strike late for Worcester at the HDanywhere Community Stadium.

But Hooper was able to pick out positives from the game which was played in searing heat against higher-ranked City.

“We were happy with the performance overall in both halves,” said Hooper.

“Our fitness levels need to improve but that will come in time.

“It was nice to be able to get minutes into the lads and we also introduced some reserve and under-18 players, which gave us a chance to have a look at them.

“The lads worked hard in what were difficult conditions out there

“It was nice to see a good crowd here for the game and hopefully the fans will have liked what they saw.

"It gives us a platform on which we intend to build.”

On a hot afternoon, former Town striker Dave Reynolds was denied on the edge of the area by home keeper Charlie Weaver.

An inviting cross from Malvern youngster Jake Churchill picked out Joshua Hunt but he failed to make a proper connection and keeper Lewis Gwilliams was able to gather.

Louis Loader’s low strike had the sting taken out of it for the hosts before another Malvern old boy Kyonn Evans went close with a lobbed effort that landed inches wide.

A loose ball in the middle of the park was seized upon by Malvern's Steve Webb who linked up with fellow new signing Ben Lane but the visitors scrambled clear.

Hunt curled just wide from distance before Lane got in a teasing cross that caused concern.

There were a raft of changes by both teams after a goalless first half.

Sam Daffin’s effort lacked any real power to trouble City but both sides struggled to find a cutting edge in the heat.

The visitors went close twice in quick succession as Jordan Stoddart’s header hit the top of the bar and then a low drive flashed inches wide.

City grabbed the lead on 84 minutes as Jordan Harrison was on hand to turn the ball home at the far post.

There was time for a second goal right at the death when a break on the right ended with a low ball played across the face of goal where Simpson was on hand to apply the finish.

It was harsh on West Midlands League Premier Division side Malvern.