MATCH-WINNER Duncan Weir saluted the replacements for giving Worcester Warriors a “second wind” in their epic 21-19 comeback triumph over 11-man Bath.

Warriors trailed 19-3 at half-time before Weir landed two penalties and Bryce Heem crossed twice with his second try coming in the 17th minute of added time to level the scores.

Weir then clinched victory with the last kick of an extraordinary Gallagher Premiership match that witnessed four yellow cards and one red.

But the 27-year-old insisted it was the impact of Warriors’ bench players that proved key to the Sixways success as the hosts completed a superb comeback.

“I know they work hard during the week and were disappointed not to start,” Weir said.

“But I thought they came on and really helped us keep the energy levels really high and ultimately probably gave us that second wind to push on and grind out the result.”

Back rower Marco Mama who had been struggling with a hamstring problem was among those who impressed off the bench while Weir felt props Ethan Waller and Gareth Milasinovich and locks Pierce Phillips and Darren Barry made a telling contribution in the scrum.

“I know Marco has been in and out with injury problems over the last couple of months so it is good to see him fully fit,” Weir said.

“He is a tremendous player but I also thought the two props and two locks came on and really added something.

“It was great to feel the energy that they brought and the set-piece was going from strength to strength.”

With the clock dead and Warriors just five metres away from the try-line Weir was preparing himself for a potential last-gasp conversion.

But he admitted he was also hoping referee Ian Tempest would award Warriors a penalty try as Max Lahiff, Lucas Noguera and Aled Brew were sin-binned in the dying moments.

Tempest had also yellow carded Worcester’s Michael Fatialofa in the first half and sent Bath’s Ross Batty off on 64 minutes.

“I don’t really know much about scrummaging but it felt we had the upper-hand there,” Weir said.

“Obviously you are hoping there will be a penalty try and you won’t have to think about the conversion and get away with the victory.”

Several of his team-mates and many spectators could not watch as Weir looked to add the extras after Heem went over.

But the Scotland international said he was “fairly confident” he would hit the target.

“As a kicker you pride yourself on your kicking,” Weir said.

“I knew I missed a fairly simple one against Northampton at home when I was on that streak.

“It was in that exact same position and knew exactly what I had to do.

“I knew what I had done that night which made it miss.

“I stuck to my processes and my technique and I am just glad it went over.

“But it was a full team performance as we all dug deep.”

The victory saw Warriors move four points clear of bottom club Newcastle Falcons who lost 38-17 to Harlequins at Kingston Park.

“This win was massive,” Weir said.

“The character we showed in the second half is definitely something we can build on.

“We should be coming out with that energy and enthusiasm to go and take points off teams, especially at home.”