Tewkesbury Admag

Match coverage, reaction & player ratings: City beaten by Gresley


Worcester City beaten by Gresley Rovers

By Marcello Cossali-Francis

Last updated:

    FULL-TIME: Gresley 3 (Munday, 3, Sullivan, 12,75) City 2 (Reynolds, 44, Birch, 80)
  • Gresley: Fryatt, Smikle, Landsdowne, Frizzelle, Harrison, Westwood, Batchelor, Haines, Munday, Sullivan, Kolodynski.
  • Subs: Briscoe, Brown, Thomas, Storer, Holmes.
  • City: Jezeph; Roberts, Smith, Kelly, Turton, Winwood, Morrison, Reynolds, Brain, Withington, Hall.
  • Subs: Townsend, Willis, Birch, English, Nicol.
  • Worcester City's miserable start to the league campaign continued after a chaotic 3-2 defeat at the hands of Gresley Rovers at the Moat Ground on Saturday.
  • Two goals in the first 10 minutes from the hosts, one from Danny Munday and a penalty from captain Paul Sullivan, ultimately decided the contest, despite an improved second-half performance.
  • Goals from Dave Reynolds and Aaron Birch at the end of each period were not enough for City as the sloppy opening cost them.
  • The game could not have begun any worse for the visitors, who fell behind when Danny Munday tapped home from an Andy Westwood low cross after just three minutes.
  • The lead was doubled on the 10th minute after Dan Jezeph was adjudged to have brought down Gresley striker David Kolodynski in the box and referee Mark Billingham awarded a penalty.
  • There was little to no contact but captain Sullivan dispatched the penalty, sending the City keeper the wrong way.
  • City were rocked but did manage to get one back through Dave Reynolds' clever header minutes before the break.
  • Worcester came out fighting in the second half and played some nice football without testing the goal keeper but at least they were starting to win second balls and making challenges in midfield.
  • Despite their efforts and some great saves from Jezeph, Rovers made it three with fifteen minutes to go following a brilliant first time strike from the impressive Sullivan, who notched his second of the game after a neat lay-off from Jack Storer on the edge of the box.
  • This signified the beginning of a frantic final period, which started with what looked like a clear penalty for City after Aaron Birch was fouled in the area.
  • During the protestations Sean Brain was sin-binned by referee Billingham and City were down to 10 men for six minutes.
  • After the commotion City were gifted a lifeline when a long ball was pumped forward for Birch to head goalwards and following a huge bounce off the turf, the ball looped over Joe Fryatt and into the Gresley goal.
  • Out of nowhere, City were back in it and with 10 minutes still on the clock , an unlikely point was within reach.
  • Worcester puffed and lumped the ball forwards but could not find the goal to complete the comeback.
  • Both sides finished the game with 10 men after Winwood and Storer were, eventually, shown red cards for an off-the-ball incident.
  • City have managed just one point from their five away fixtures in the MFL Premier Division and remain in 16th place.