WORCESTER Warriors kicked-off their 2020/21 Gallagher Premiership campaign with a narrow win over London Irish on an emotional afternoon at Sixways.

Following the death of former President Cecil Duckworth last Sunday, Worcester honoured his passing with a minute's silence before the match and wore black armbands in a show of respect.

It was by no means a classic as Warriors failed to convert their chances before a 68th minute try from Tom Howe ensured they began the league season with a victory.

Irish had taken the lead a couple of minutes earlier thanks to substitute Nick Phipps' close range score but Worcester rallied to ensure they honoured the great Cecil Duckworth with a win.

Worcester lacked a clinical edge throughout and it was no more apparent than in the first-half when they failed to capitalise on a number of chances to get over the line, with turnovers and handling errors thwarting them on countless occasions.

They had lead early on through a Billy Searle penalty inside the opening five minutes but were pegged back when Paddy Jackson nailed a three-pointer of his own to draw level after just 12 minutes.

Warriors enjoyed plenty of possession and territory for the remainder of the half and despite dominating the Irish scrum, could not make it count.

The scores stayed that way until four minutes after the break, when some sustained pressure from the hosts ended with Searle kicking one through the posts to go ahead 6-3.

The visitors made a number of changes throughout the second period and with 20 minutes to go, began to get a foothold in the game and they went ahead for the first time when the former Australian scrum half Phipps ducked under a heap of bodies to score the opening try of the match five minutes later.

The try seemed to spark the home side into action and from the restart won a scrum in the Irish 22, which they used to good effect and Tom Howe darted over in the corner to retake the lead thanks to some good work from Malani Nanai in midfield.

Searle couldn't quite add the extras, making it a one-point game heading into the final stages.

Irish had the chance to win it from the tee but for Jackson's penalty attempt dropping short of the posts and eventually Worcester held on for the win that, on balance, they probably just about deserved.